News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Non venting gas cap for storage

Started by tonys_shelby, March 31, 2021, 12:48:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonys_shelby

It seems like I have so much fuel evaporation because I don't drive the car especially over the cold months, I'm wondering if I just install a non evap. Gas cap for storage. Does anyone else do it?  I use Sunoco Optima.

jk66gt350

I also don't drive my car that much.  I typically only go through 2-3 tanks of gas a season and store my car for 5-6 months of the year like most others in the northeast.  I have never experienced or heard of any significant evaporation while a car is not used.  How much fuel is going unaccounted for?  Anybody else experienced this?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: tonys_shelby on March 31, 2021, 12:48:09 PM
It seems like I have so much fuel evaporation because I don't drive the car especially over the cold months, I'm wondering if I just install a non evap. Gas cap for storage. Does anyone else do it?  I use Sunoco Optima.
Do you realize what is involved with switching out a pop open gas cap on a 67 Shelby? You may want to find out before trying to switch caps because it is a lot of work.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

67 GT350

Can't you just pop it open and get a small gas cap and install it with the flip open, open? It is just for storage, thus your not driving it.
Also, interesting topic, my 70 Boss can loose up to a 1/2 tank in no time.
RARE  Signature Delete

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 67 GT350 on March 31, 2021, 05:53:32 PM
Can't you just pop it open and get a small gas cap and install it with the flip open, open? It is just for storage, thus your not driving it.
Also, interesting topic, my 70 Boss can loose up to a 1/2 tank in no time.
Nope. That is because the pop open ring sets on top of the filler neck eliminating clearance needed for a typical cap to twist,lock and seat. I am sure you could rig up something like a big cork or the like to close off the neck. Taking off the ring is what is so labor intensive.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Side-Oilers

I have never heard of, nor considered, fuel evap during storage with a vented cap.

Has anyone else here experienced similar?

I live in SoCal, near the beach, so temps and humidity levels are relatively constant throughout the year.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

tonys_shelby

I think part of it is the Sunoco fuel but in 2 months 3-4 gallons loss.  I've figured out a twist on cap that I can get to go flush to the pipe and have the pop cap open. Yes just for storage. No don't want to remove the tail lights etc to remove original cap.

67 GT350

RARE  Signature Delete

Side-Oilers

Maybe your kid/nephew/friend/neighbor is taking it out without you knowing?  8)
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

"Sleepdriving"?Better check the odometer to be sure. :D

tonys_shelby

Pictures...what do you want a picture of?  The gas cap? 

tonys_shelby

Hey I think it's weird too that's why I bring it up. First time using this fuel in a storage type situation. And wondering if anyone else runs into it. I put a piece of rubber ( thin ) between the cap and Filler neck and the vapor built up enough pressure when I opened it later that day it popped opened and it the vapor rushed out. Have heated garage so temp is consistent for most part.

shelbymann1970

So I had a half of tank of gas in my 69 Mach1 since Spring of 2015. I used stabil but will drain the gas out before I fire up the car in the next month(5-6 year engine bay detailing). So under the evaporation are you saying of the 10 or less gallons that was in my car in 2015 I should be about empty on what is in the tank? Yes, I have the same vented system with the pop open gas cap. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

67 GT350

Quote from: tonys_shelby on April 01, 2021, 06:16:56 AM
Pictures...what do you want a picture of?  The gas cap?

If you find an answer.
Has anyone seen the repro pop down gas cap that gives the option to conceal a screw on cap? I wonder if that would work on a Shelby? It would be completely wrong though. but it would allow you to leave it on year round where you flip the cover down and take the cap off. I got one of these for my 67 GT and I did not use that option.
RARE  Signature Delete

tonys_shelby

Shelby man, it's hard to say I've never ran into this before which makes me think it's the type of fuel. 67 Gt350, I have seen those before not real interested in something to use all the time just will put on a regular type for storage and leave it popped open.